Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Princess and the Frog themed cake (click photos to see a BIGGER version).


Oh man, this cake was so much fun and made for such a great week.  I absolutely loved working on this thing.  It was a first birthday cake for the little daughter of a friend/co-worker who I (coincidentally) grew up and went to school with.  I really wanted to do something special for her and her precious little girl.  She told me the theme, showed me a party plate and the banner she had ordered, and told me to have my way with the design.  That rates her even higher in my book, since free reign is pretty much what I live for when it comes to cake.  We did a WASC with Madagascar vanilla butter cream, and then decorated it in fondant accents.  The crown, frogs, lily pads, and cattails are all hand-sculpted fondant.  The flowers were made with a daisy plunger.  Everything on the cake is edible except the wires holding up the cattails.  One of my favorite things about this cake was that my daughter (age 12) and my mom (who is soon to be 70) both were able to help with it.  Often they just sit around and visit while I work.  My mom made all the fondant cattails and my little girl helped out in a huge way with all the fantasy flowers and she made all the lily pads and lily pad flowers by herself.  I saw pictures of the baby eating her smash cake and they were so dang sweet.  Happy birthday, Princess Courtney.  You are loved!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking for a frog cake for my fiance she loves frogs and her birthday is June 22 and I've been looking for something not so much original just something knowing that I care if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...